Things to do and see
- Niagara Falls USA
- Niagara Falls State Park - This is where The Falls are located. The park is beautifully landscaped.
- The MAID of the MIST ride - The ultimate boat ride experience for up close "monumental" views of Niagara Falls. Access through Niagara Falls State Park.
- Next to the park is GOAT ISLAND and the Threes Sisters Islands. Definitely, a must do while visiting The Falls.
- The CAVE of the WINDS is on Goat Island. This is a great attraction, lot of fun and cheap!
- The Tesla monument is near the entrance to the Cave of the Winds.
- You can take a helicopter ride above the Falls. A very memorable experience.
- There are UNDERGROUND RAILROAD Tours. The underground rail road is very important in Niagara County and American History.
- The Seneca Niagara Casino. For anyone who likes to gamble, this is the place to go. The hotel is absolutely beautiful.
- The AQUARIUM of Niagara.
- WHIRLPOOL State Park and DEVILS HOLE are located along the Niagara Gorge heading towards Lewiston. It has a great overlook area onto the gorge. Just a bit north is Devils Hole with the stone staircase down into the gorge. It is wonderful to do, but you need to be in shape to get back up the staircase! This area and beyond that follows the river and lakes is part of the Seaway Trail.
- At the Niagara Falls-Lewiston Border is the Niagara Power Project’s POWER VISTA. It is free and has lots of educational exhibits.
- A 30 minute drive down to Youngstown, NY, is Old Fort Niagara, the oldest continuously occupied military site in North America.
- The OUTLET MALL is on the other end of the city. If you like to shop, this is for you.
- ADVENTURE LANDING. This is a family fun spot just outside of Niagara Falls on Rt. 62 with a go-cart speedway, mini golf, arcade, etc.
Places to eat
DOWNTOWN (near the falls)The Top Of The Falls restaurant is on Goat Island. The food is ok, but the view is phenomenal!
WINE on THIRD another good place to go.
Gadawski’s has great Polish food.
VILLELLA’S RISTORANTE is an other good choice.
PINE AVENUE AREA (Rt. 62 A)~
- FORTUNA’S Restaurant, on 19th off of Pine Ave. is my favorite for Italian. They have best Eggplant Parmesan, Beans and Greens, Gnocchi, and Fettucini Alfredo.
- THE COMO is a famous Italian restaurant in the same area on Pine Ave. It is also good.
- Another good restaurant for Italian is MICHAEL’S.
- A couple doors down from there is another good place to eat especially PIZZA which is the best around, LA HACIENDA.
- Located in the same area on Pine Ave. is the famous Italian Bakery, DICAMILLO’S. They have amazing biscotti.
- Next door to Dicamillo’s is the famous local Italian food store, LATINA’S. If you want some olives, good cheese, or an Italian Pride tee shirt, this is the place.
On the back street behind these places is VIOLA’S SUBS. They make the best steak and cheese sub. They have a second location near the outlet mall on Military Road (Rt. 265.)
NIAGARA FALLS BLVD. (Rt. 62) area~
For Mexican, you can’t beat LA GALERA on Niagara Falls Blvd. near the 190.
- Close to the 190 is also BOB EVANS which always is good for breakfast food.
- Duffs Famous Wings
- BUZZY’S PIZZA is a long standing favorite of many.
- For Greek, SOPHIE’S PITA and GRILL is the place to go. It is not fancy, but it is so good.
- There is also an outlet for DICAMILLO’S ITALIAN BAKERY in this area.
LEWISTON, NY– This is an historic little town north of Niagara Falls. It is very pretty.
Lots of shops and restaurants line Center Street. Visit http://historiclewiston.org/
They have street festivals all summer.
- The Jazz Festival is always at the end of August.
- WHIRLPOOL JET RIDE. This is obviously lots of fun. The boats drive up into the gorge back towards Niagara Falls.
- Artpark has concerts all summer. The surrounding grounds have sculptures and also a great view of the Niagara River.
- The Spicey Pickle is an inexpensive but very good Mexican restaurant.
- Carmello’s Restaurant is a favorite of many for a special dinner.
- WATERSTREET LANDING is nice restaurant right where the boat takes off from with indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the water.
- THE SILO is a hotdog/ice cream place right along the water.
- APPLE GRANNY’S is a Lewiston favorite. They have very good sandwiches and chicken wings.
- THE BRICKYARD is a popular BBQ restaurant.
- BRIOS is a nice pizza place.
- The NIAGARA WINE TRAIL To the east and north of Lewiston, there are a group of wineries. This is also farmland area so there are produce stands along the way.
- GORDIE HARPER’s BAZAAR. If you do the wine trail or just head out towards Newfane and Olcott, stopping at Gordie Harper’s is a must. It is a restaurant with plants for sale outside and inside there is a whole flea/antiques area. It is very unusual place!
- You also should stop at BYE’S POPCORN. This is an old fashion stand at the side of the road where they make fresh popcorn.
YOUNGSTOWN, NY~ The town north of Lewiston which is where the Niagara River ends and Lake Ontario begins. Visit: http://youngstownnewyork.us/
- FORT NIAGARA This is a very historic fort since the 1700’s with wonderful tours.
- The Bistro at the Old Fort Inn is a very popular place to eat.
GRAND ISLAND~ This island is just south of Niagara Falls and north of Buffalo.
- Martin’s FANTASY ISLAND AMUSEMENT PARK. Has all the normal rides you would find at an amusement park. There is a KOA campground right next to it.
- BEAVER ISLAND STATE PARK. There is a beach, picnic areas, and golf course.
- Buckhorn Island State Park. This is more of just a nature trail area. If you want to see a bald eagle, this is your best bet. Thinking of that, it is possible to see Peregrine Falcons on/near the south Grand Island bridge.
- KELLY’S COUNTRY STORE. Old fashion candy/chocolate shop with kitchen items too. The orange chocolate is excellent.
CITY of TONAWANDA/NORTH TONAWANDA~ These small cities are located south of Niagara Falls and to the east of Grand Island. They are separated by the ERIE CANAL.
- Herschell CAROUSEL MUSEUM. If you love old carousel rides, this is the place for you.
- NIAWANDA PARK runs along for quite a long way the Niagara River. There is bike trail. There are a few restaurants near the park that are informal and inexpensive like Old Man River and Mississippi Mudds.
BUFFALO– This city is south of Grand Island.
Buffalo is a very historic city. There are festivals pretty much every weekend in the summer. We like to party in WNY! The Buffalo Bar Fly site has search functions for most Buffalo Restaurants, Bars, and Music events.
DOWNTOWN and EAST SIDE of Buffalo
- The Buffalo WING FESTIVAL is held annually during Labor Day weekend.
- Chippewa and surrounding streets. This is a big bar/restaurant party area.
- MARK TWAIN ROOM at the Library. The original Huckleberry Finn manuscript is there plus other memorabilia.
- Pierce Arrow Museum. Antique cars from 1903-1960s are here.
- Buffalo Museum of Science. They have events for the kids going on all the time.
- Buffalo Naval and Military Park. This is the place for the military buff.
- Sheas. This is an amazing historic theater. Sheas has been restored to its original glory. A great place to see a show.
- Teddy Roosevelt Inaugural Site. A house museum.
- Buffalo has a a rich BLACK HISTORY. Click on the link for a PDF with lots of info.
- The BROADWAY MARKET is a famous old shopping place. It is part of the Polish heritage of Buffalo. During Lent is its busy time.
THE WEST SIDE and NORTH SIDE of Buffalo.~ Elmwood Ave. is full of shops and restaurants going all the way into downtown.
- There is now a FOOD TOUR for the Elmwood Village.
- Albright Knox ART GALLERY. This is one of the best art galleries in the US especially of modern art. Across the street is the Burchfield-Penny ART CENTER. Their gift shop is great. It is all items made by local artists.
- Buffalo Historical Society. This is also located near the art gallery.
- Delaware Park Rose Garden. This is located behind the Art Gallery at the edge of Delaware Park.
- Forest Lawn Cemetery. This is an amazing cemetery. They have tours.
- Buffalo ZOO. A nice zoo that is being updated all the time.
- Darwin Martin House. This house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- The Buffalo GARDEN WALK with hundreds of gardens happens at the end of July every year.
- TIFFT NATURE PRESERVE. Another spot for bird watching.
- BUFFALO BOTANICAL GARDENS. Worth the trip for the plant lover.
- The Our Lady of Victory Basilica is close to the Botanical Gardens. It is an amazing church. (My husband Gary’s grandfather was one of the roofers.) It is also beautifully landscaped. Tours are given.
- CURLEY’S GRILL is a famous place to eat close to the above 2 attractions.
CHEEKTOWAGA/TOWN of TONAWANDA/AMHERST~ The 3 suburbs that surround Buffalo to the north and east.
- Galleria Mall. Very Large shopping complex.
- DUFFS, this is the WING place that won on the Food Network and President Obama ate at.
- On Sheridan Dr. in Tonawanda is the famous HOT DOG Restaurant, TED’S. They serve Buffalo’s famous Salen’s Hotdogs.
- Nearby is another ADVENTURE LANDING place for the family.
- In the same vicinity is Anderson’s Ice Cream.
EAST AURORA~ A beautiful village with lots of history. It is located just east and south of Buffalo.
- ROYCROFT ARTS and CRAFTS art community -things were made here.
- Explore and More Children’s Museum.
- Millard Fillmore House. History buffs will like to visit this 1826 home of President Fillmore.
- VIDLER’S 5&10. A old fashion large store just crammed with all kinds of stuff.
CLARENCE~ This town is the antiques capital of WNY.